It was only four years ago that Sarah Palin, the liberal performance artist portraying herself as a sendup of an empty-headed conservative nutjob, entered the national scene. Two years after that, Delaware Republicans pushed aside popular former Governor and Congressman Mike Castle to nominate Christine O'Donnell for the Senate, a woman best known for being a lightweight on Bill Maher's old show (which really says something considering his guests were brilliant pundits like Sandra Bernhard and Ben Affleck). But I think we're about to enter a new chapter for the GOP. I give you--Mindy Meyer, candidate for New York State Senate!
Quick facts--Meyer is a 22-year old law student, and an adherent to the Orthodox Jewish faith. That much is completely normal--a bit ambitious considering her youth, but good for her for jumping in the game early in life. (At least it's not one of those insufferable Kennedy spawn who bring their whiskey-fueled self-loathing to Washington every two years since 1946). What stands out are the following:
1) This woman is bright orange. If Snooki and Scooter from the Muppets had a kid? It would look exactly like this woman. Admittedly, that's a plus in my book! Orange Americans need more than just John Boehner to represent!
2) Her website. This seizure-inducing mess makes me think she might instead be running for Disco Queen, now that Donna Summer is no longer with us. Holy sparkles, Batman!
3) Her inspiration--the film "Legally Blonde." I'm not making this up. She had many films to choose from with which to inspire her public service. Legally Blonde. Let that sink in a minute.
4) "I'm Senator and I Know It". This nonsensical slogan does not even have the benefit of making any grammatical sense.
5) This photo. Holy Jebus the look on that police official's face--the one that says "dear Lord, what has become???"--pretty much covers how a career public servant would look at the Meyer candidacy as a sign of the future.
I for one wish Ms. Meyer well, and hope she makes it to Congress some day. It's not like they're doing any good as it is, and at least this lady will keep it amusing.
Essay Using The Five Senses
2 weeks ago