Friday, September 7, 2012

I Believe in Music, But Wonder Woman Does Not

As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of music from the early '70s, and one of my all-time favorite songs is 1972's "I Believe in Music" by Mac Davis.  Apparently Davis, a country singer and devout Christian, was upset when the godless heathen band Gallery recorded a version of the song and replaced the lyrics "God loves you when you sing" with "abort more babies and praise Satan".  But whichever recording you listen to, it's still a beautiful song. 

Then comes the wonders of YouTube.  Search under "I believe in music" and you'll see Mac Davis do a nice live version of the song on the Johnny Cash Show, a smooth Perry Como version with just audio, and a far out groovy Sonny and Cher version that for some reason gave me the reaction of wanting to vote for Nixon.  Twice!  Then I came upon this.

Yes, it's Lynda Carter, of "Wonder Woman" fame, belting out a "more '70s than polyester strangling a disco ball" version of the song, and this auditory assault has reached "so bad it's good" territory for me.  Feel free to give it a listen, and add any of the following comments on the YouTube page:

1) "I didn't knew Lynda Carter could sing.  And after hearing that, I still don't."

2) "She says she believes in music, and yet she has tried to destroy it."

3) "Hey, do you remember Lynda Carter's singing career?  Neither do I."

4) "The song starts with the line 'I could sit around making music all day long.'  I don't think it's legal for her to make terrorist threats like that."

And if that version isn't enough for you, there's always Dean Reed's version, in case you wanted to hear it sung by an American who defected to East Germany for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment