1) "A watched pot never boils." Completely untrue. If you watch a heated pot long enough, it will boil. In fact, watching it is no more likely to keep it from boiling than not watching it would be.
2) "A stitch in time saves nine." This actually makes no sense whatsoever.
3) "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Nothing ventured nothing lost, either. You can't lose money on an investment you don't make.
4) "The early bird gets the worm." What about the worms that come out later?
5) "The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach." I asked a heart surgeon about this, it's not true at all. Try the breast plate.
6) "You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar." Who wants to attract flies? Unless you're another fly, there's no point.
7) "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." I'll agree with this, unless the hand is covered with honey from trying to attract flies. Then it's much too tasty to pass up.
8) "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." If someone gives you a car as a present, and you have any intention of driving it, it's highly recommended you have a mechanic check it out. You don't want to find out the brakes don't work halfway down the highway. Terrible advice!
9) "Money can't buy happiness." People who have money and no happiness just haven't figured out how to buy it.
10) "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." This isn't true if you live next door to trashy people.
The Battle Over Buy Essay and How to Win It
5 hours ago