One way the DC Metro is planning to overcome its budget shortfall is to sell naming rights to its various stations. I think this is a capital idea! (Pun not intended until I saw how it looked, then pun intended) Of course, the sponsors of the various stations should be appropriate for the neighborhoods that they represent. Like so:
1) Pentagon: this should be named "Lockheed Martin" after one of the biggest defense contractors out there.
2) Arlington Cemetary: name this one "American Legion Station".
3) Reagan National Airport: the Democratic National Committee should pull out all the stops to secure naming rights for this one.
4) Capitol South: since allowing all the Capitol Hill lobbyists to duke it out over this one would be a mess, just compromise with "Lobbyist Station."
5) Woodley Park/Adams Morgan: this should be named "Miller High Life".
6) Gallery Place/Chinatown: name this for "Colonial Parking" since good luck finding a spot on the street if you're not getting there by metro.
7) Vienna: I'd suggest "Folgers" or "Starbucks" buy rights for this one, to appeal to the dewy-eyed morning commuters.
8) Rhode Island Avenue: I suggest "Remington Firearms" station.
9) Bethesda: I would love to see this get named "Wal-Mart" station just because of how much it would rankle the Bethesda blue-bloods. Of course, the really blue bloods don't ride Metro.
How-to Publish a Range Statement
3 months ago