Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Evolutionarily Challenged

Smack dab in the middle of allergy season, I start to wonder--how would I cope if not for the drugs and being in the office (or the car) during the day? I figure my allergy-suffering ancestors basically spent their springs wheezing and runny-nosed, probably lagging in the back when the gang was hunting mastadons and being stuck with the hindquarters of the quarry. And before some nerd points out that mastadon hunts always took place in the fall, you get my drift--I suffer an evolutionary problem that can only be solved with modern conveniences!

Which raises the question--is technology the solution to evolution? Have we found a way to defy Darwin by letting the weak survive (by having grocery stores rather than bear hunts)? Or are we slowly breaking down to the point where we'll weaken until aliens can invade and take our sweet, weak flesh for their own nefarious purposes?

And yet, just try explaining this next time the police stop you from spear-hunting at Rock Creek Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment